Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Classroom job dilemma...

Well... time is starting to slip away from me!!  Can the summer already be halfway over??  Yikes! I know, I know, I shouldn't have said it.  I haven't completely decided if it's a good or bad thing yet.  On one hand, I love hangin' by the pool and running to Target here and there, but on the other hand, I thrive on a routine and that's what school brings.  

Thinking about routines sent me on a search for how I want to manage my classroom jobs this year.  Last year, I decided to have one student (the star of the week) in charge of everything.  The star of the week was the line leader, passed out papers, turned on the lights, etc.  It was great because there was no confusion, and everyone knew who was in charge.  Sounds great, but there were a lot of flaws and gaps to that method too.  This year, I'm going to switch things up.  

I love the idea of having multiple jobs so that all the students feel a sense of responsibility.  As soon as I'm able to get back into my classroom, I'm going to make a job chart ASAP.  It is such an important part of classroom management.  Since I am recently obsessed with the design, I made my class job labels different colored chevron and added them to my store.  


I included 16 different classroom job titles, but I haven't decided which ones I am going to use for sure. I also love the idea of the students really understanding each job and if are qualified for it.  So.... I'm going to have them fill out job applications for the positions they think they want. In an attempt to save paper (look at me being all green =]), I made them half sheets.  You can download the freebie by clicking here.  



Well, my mouth is watering and dinner is calling my name!  Thanks for reading.

-Katie

4 comments:

  1. I considered doing the job application system but didn't this year. I added your job application to my files though and plan on doing it next year. Gosh it's only September and I've already said "Next year..." so much. There's only so much a girl can do!

    I am in love with your supply labels and I blogged about them on my blog as one of my favorite purchases ever!!
    You can see the post here: http://fourthgradelemonade.blogspot.com/2012/09/my-favorite-products.html

    -Caitlyn
    Fourth Grade Lemonade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caitlyn!

      This has worked really well in my classroom this year. Let me know if you have any job titles that you would like me to add to the list!

      Also, if I had a dollar for every time I've said, "Next year I'll have time for..." I'd be a millionaire!

      -Katie

      Delete
  2. Just found you through your Classroom Subject labels on teachers pay teachers! Love them! I also love the table you made! Super creative!

    Teaching Joys

    ReplyDelete