Sunday, July 8, 2012

Crafty Classroom Furniture

One of the most exciting things about moving into a new classroom this year, is getting to start from scratch.... yikes! One thing I know I will keep the same, is a round reading table I made last summer.  I was on the lookout for a small table to put in my classroom library,  and after searching high and low (and getting ready to pull my hair out!!), my brilliant mother suggested trying to make my own using an electrical spool.  Since I like a challenge, I decided to give it a whirl, and ended up LOVING the result.  Here is what I did....
  • First, I went to a local electrician to see if they would be willing to donate (teacher's budget remember??) a large electrical spool for an elementary classroom.  They were MORE than willing to help, and they even let me pick out the perfect one (the cleanest and sturdiest).  Here's what they looked like. 

  • Next, I measured and cut two large circles out of plywood to screw onto the top and the base of the spool.  The plywood creates a smoother surface and also covers up any screws or holes that may be showing.  
  • Then, I made sure to file and sand all the edges down so it would be smooth all the way around.  
  • Finally, I got to the fun part!!  Since I already had paint colors that would work, I decided to paint the table with a Dr. Seuss quote.   Don't forget a clear protective coat over the top for those sticky fingers...

My students loved, loved, loved reading and working at this table, and I couldn't be happier with how it turned out.  It was a great, inexpensive way to furnish my classroom library.    


Last year, I had my students use regular chairs around the table, but I have been working on SPOOL STOOLS this month!!  


I found sturdy spools that were just the right size, and I can't wait to get them all ready.  Stay tuned for more on the progress of the stools.  

- Katie 


2 comments:

  1. Spool stool...
    I kid you not, things are just better when they rhyme.

    Love your blog! I'm adding it to my pinterest board!

    ReplyDelete